blog

06.03.12

Student Competition Feedback

Registration is now open!

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JUNE 10th! Given the end of term and project deadlines for some universities we’ve decided to extend the deadline.  The 10th of June is the latest possible date and hope this helps students wanting to submit a proposal.

In an effort to share feedback from queries about the competition, we will use this post as an evolving piece of information for interested applicants.  Feel free to post queries/ comments here and we will respond to them in a timely manner.  Many thanks for everyone’s interest.

Are team-based submissions okay?  Submissions can be team-based or individual (as long as all participants are students).  Teams should not exceed 4 individuals.  The prizes are obviously not scaled!

Does the submission have to be a building?  No, your submission may take a variety of forms and scales, e.g. a public space, a product, a building system, or a cluster of buildings (e.g. a neighborhood).  The key is to illustrate how your proposed solution responds to a variety of changes.  A good way to do this is to envision a series of plausible scenarios.

Can I submit if i graduate in May?  Yes, you can submit if you graduated after December 1st, 2011 (six months prior to the deadline).  If you graduated prior to December 1st, 2011 you are not eligible to entry the competition (sorry).  If however you have a project that you think is interesting and highly relevant to the research you can email it to us directly at competition@adaptablefutures.com.  It <span style=” style=”color: #000000;”>Can I submit a studio project?   Yes, we are happy for you to submit your studio work as long as it… a) is submitted in the format of the competition A0 boards or a QuickTime film and b) responds to the competition criteria (i.e. your studio project might not be about time and change, but the competition requires you to think about how your submitted design can accommodate change over time).  Please don’t simply submit a studio project without proper consideration towards the three bullet pointed criteria in the competition brief.

Comments

40 Responses to Student Competition Feedback

1. Ahmad March 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I,m from palestine and i graduated at 22/5/2011, can i participate?

2. Pete Austin March 7, 2012 at 2:19 am

Does it matter how we orient the A0 boards (portrait / Landscape) should they read as separate boards or read as one continuous board?

3. rsiii March 7, 2012 at 3:52 am

Ahmad – I’m sorry but we established a cut-off of past graduates as the winter of 2011, not the Spring. Apologies.

Pete – We are indifferent about the orientation and whether or not they read as one or two boards. Feel free to do what you think best conveys your design proposal against the three criteria.

Thank you both for your queries.

4. Pete Austin March 7, 2012 at 7:40 am

Is the cut off for the competition the winter session of the school year? Because most schools in the US consider January 2011 as their winter school session or are you considering the end of 2011 as the winter cut of date for graduates.

I ask because when it says graduated winter of 2011 people might think if they graduated during the winter session of their school they can enter?

Also, is it ok for graduates that don’t meet the cutoff date to submit work they did in studio that is related to this competition?

5. rsiii March 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your follow up query. To clarify, if you graduate prior to the June 1st deadline you must have graduated within six months prior to that, thus making an official cut-off date of December 1st, 2011. Anyone graduating before December 1st, 2011 is ineligible to enter. Anyone graduating after the date is okay.

If you don’t meet the cutoff date, but have a project that you think is interesting and relevant please send it to me directly at competition@adaptablefutures.com It will not be considered for the competition, but it may be considered for the website and/ or the book.

Also, each individual or group is limited to one entry.

Thanks again for your interest.

6. Lourdes Peñaranda March 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Do you have a registration fee?

• rsiii March 16, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hi Lourdes,

There is no registration fee for the competition!

7. Abhay March 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm

What the approximate dates for publishing the registration and submission guidelines information ?

• rsiii March 22, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hi Abhay,
      We will hopefully have the registration and submission process up in the next two weeks.
      Thanks.

8. rsiii March 22, 2012 at 11:39 am

Interesting and related texts…

How Buildings Learn – Stewart Brand
    The Secret lives of Buildings – Edward Hollis
    Give me a Gun and I will make all Buildings move – Bruno Latour & Albena Yaneva
    Time-based architecture – Berhanrd Leupen
    Lessons for Students in Architecture – Herman Hertzberger
    Architecture and Disjunction – Bernard Tschumi
    Architecture Depends – Jeremy Till

9. Sonali March 24, 2012 at 4:50 am

I am an Indian,graduating in May,2012. Am I eligible?

• rsiii April 19, 2012 at 7:35 am

Yes Sonali, you are eligible to entry. We look forward to receiving your entry.

10. s.rajashree March 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

hii…. i am a under graduate doing 2nd year architecture… and i am from india.. i would like to join the contest.. but i couldnt find how the registration goes…. please provide me with some information…

• rsiii April 19, 2012 at 7:38 am

Hi Rajashree,

Sorry for the delay in the registration. It will be up by Friday!

Thanks,

11. Kamyar March 28, 2012 at 4:52 am

To : Rajashree
    It seems we can’t ! same here , I’m from Iran and we had an idea which could fit into this competition , but unfortunately we can’t participate .

• rsiii April 19, 2012 at 7:36 am

Hi Kamyar,

You are welcome to submit your idea to the competition. We look foward to your submission.

Thanks,

12. sina April 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

Hi

i’m from iran and i’m studing architecture…can i compet?

• rsiii April 19, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hi Sina,

Thanks for your question and yes you are elgible to compete – the competition is international. We look forward to your submission.

Thanks,

13. Julio S April 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

competition is global?
    I’m from Brazil and would like to participate.

tks

• rsiii April 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hi Julio,

Yes the competition is global and it would be great for you to participate!

Thanks,

14. Daniela May 10, 2012 at 5:47 am

Hi, im from guatemala, can i participate, if im in third year of architecture???

• rsiii May 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Yes, Daniela!

15. jerico May 14, 2012 at 5:58 am

Greetings!

I’m from Philippines I would like to ask if what will happen if someone submitted a concept/work but he/she was not eligible to join the said competition. What will happen to the concept/work.

Thank you!

• rsiii May 14, 2012 at 6:10 am

Hi Jerico,

Thank you for your question. I have offered to a couple of other similar inquires that while I cannot allow you to be eligible for the competition, I can consider a project that you submit for our upcoming book published by Rutledge. There is a section on design applications which a select number of competition winners will be published along with projects that we’ve done with our professional practice collaborators. If you were interested in further dissemination of your work/ ideas through the book I can offer you this possibility – this obviously depends on whether we feel the quality of your work is acceptable for publication and fits the narrative of the book – but this is something that we could discuss more in due course after you submit your project.

16. Bruno May 24, 2012 at 2:00 pm

My team is working on a video to submit, but the 40mb file size limit seems too little for a 3-min video, in a decent resolution. Can we submit it on a video-sharing website, such as vimeo or youtube, and attach its link in the submition form?

17. stan May 28, 2012 at 10:41 am

Hello,
    I’m preparing animation describing my project, as well as 2 boards. My question is how big can by my submission? (total size of all files)
    Second question is: when is deadline of submission? In competition description is June 1 and on the website – June 10. Was it extended?
    I’m looking forward for your reply.
    Best regards

• rsiii May 29, 2012 at 1:14 am

Hi Stan,

Yes, the deadline was extended to June 10th and I’ve answered your other questions via email.

18. abhay June 1, 2012 at 6:26 pm

The website of Vimeo is apparently blocked in India, is there any other website where I can upload the video for the submission.

19. Richard Mather June 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

Hi,

I’d love to enter but I’m between my Part 2 and Part 3 courses here in England. Can I still enter?

Best Regards,

Richard

20. Katerina June 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

Hello!

As the submission format is A0 boards, I’m curious how they will be examined: are they going to be viewed real size, via projector or something, or on a computer screen by scrolling up and down? This might sound a bit silly as a question, but it pretty much affects the graphic design and its legibility.
    Thank you very much in advance!

• rsiii June 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hi Katerina,

Thanks for your excellent question. The judges will view (and read) the boards initially on a personal computer screen and also via a projector (this will probably be projected slightly larger than real size, e.g. 1.5x). The boards however will not be printed for judging purposes.

21. Maxime Rousseau June 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hi,

Is there a specific deadline hour to submit our project on June 10th?
    Best Regards,

Maxime

• rsiii June 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Hi Maxime,

Anytime on the 10th is okay! The latest time is midnight Hawaiian Time which is UTC-10 hours!

Good luck :)

22. Zia June 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hi,
    Does the video have to be completely anonymous or we can add a team name/school name etc?
    Thankyou.

• rsiii June 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Hi Zia,

Thanks for your comment.

If you can please leave individual/ school name off the video. If you have a project or team name which is not identifiable with your individual or school name that would be okay.

Look forward to your submission.

23. tasnia June 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm

hi,
    I am having a trouble with the registration process.Is it ok if I submit a pdf file with the size of 18.1 mb?

• rsiii June 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hi Tasnia,

Yes, it should take the 18 mb file no problem.

Please try again or look above at a previous comment for alternative ways to send your submission.

Thanks,

24. rsiii June 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm

To confirm the official deadline is 12.00 midnight Hawaiian time – which is 10 am UK time or 6.00 pm Japan time on Monday (the 11th). It’s as late as I could push it back! Good luck all :)

25. tasnia June 10, 2012 at 8:32 pm

hi,
    I am still having problems. Please, provide me an alternative way to submit my project.